Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Boy School

I talk quite a bit about the guys I work with.  Try as I might to make them girls, like in this post here, they're still very much GUYS.  Which I love ... or hate, depending on my mood.


Yesterday seven of us were eating lunch and we started wandering down the path of movies and old television shows.  I've learned to get my opinion in early.  That way I don't have to hurl myself out the window when they start discussing Busty Blondes 4 or some such equivalent.  Unfortunately I missed the first few opening suggestions and tried to throw in a little "16 Candles!  Pretty in Pink!  Breakfast Club?  Can I get ANY John Hughes movie?"

No.  They were already down the road of Clint Eastwood, Al Pacino and Chuck Norris. 

SSG learned a few things yesterday:

1)  Dirty Harry was NOT a western, but a detective movie.  SSG always just assumed "Dirty" + Clint Eastwood = Western.

2)  Framed Scarface posters are not only featured on the wall of every star on MTV's "Cribs", but also formerly on some of the walls of SSG's coworkers.  Who, for the record, are definitely not rap stars.  Vanilla Ice has more street cred than these guys.

3)  NO ONE could name ANY Chuck Norris movie when the question was posed by SSG, though they quote the guy REPEATEDLY.

SSG didn't think anything had stuck from her day at boy school.  But when she was standing at the refrigerator looking for butter later that evening and couldn't find it, she looked at her dog and said "Chuck Norris doesn't churn butter.  He roundhouse kicks the cows and the butter comes straight out."

SSG promptly marched upstairs and added Steel Magnolias, Terms of Endearment and Bridget Jones' Diary to her Netflix queue ... and maybe The Delta Force.  Parts one ... and two.

4 comments:

Big Hair Envy said...

My personal favorite is when The Surveyor insists on watching a weekend-long movie marathon called, "Squint With Clint"! Kill me now. Please.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious that the guys couldn't name any Chuck Norris movies! Clint weekends have been on a lot recently, especially the spaghetti western ones.

Lys said...

*LOL* Now, that is classic.

I wish I had some "men" around these here parts - but the ones here do not talk in manspeak. Wish they did because then they could translate what my male friends in Philly really mean when they say "XZY" or whatever.

:::sigh:::

Truman said...

Chuck Norris movies I can think of off the top of my head:

Delta Force 1
Delta Force 2
Invasion USA


...Wow, I was sort of expecting to think of more. I suppose I've got more in common with your friends than I thought.