Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Lemon Drops it Like It's Hot

(And we're back to the grainy cell phone images.  Sorry peeps!  Soon I will crack my little Cannon out of its box ... and learn how to use it.  Maybe.)


You might be surprised to know that this little lemonade has NO vodka in it!  I know!  I think that officially makes any concern over me being an alcoholic null and void, don't you?  Me too.

So to put it lightly, I love all things lemon--lemon drops, lemon cake, lemon candy, lemon trees.  I'm like the lemon version of Bubba Gump Shrimp.  So I should LOVE lemonade, right?  Wrong. 

Wha?!

My problem with lemonade isn't the concept--lemon juice and sugar?  Why we're just one ingredient and sugar rimmed martini glass shy of heaven!  My problem is that it's always too ... what's that word again?  Oh yeah, BLAH.  There's just never enough lemony-ness for me.  Or it's some concoction with a cute name like "Country Time," but then you mix it and it tastes more like "Chemical Time."  

That is, until now.

Confession:  I tried to make some lemonade this weekend in order to cross off #13 on my Summer To Do List.  I used a popular recipe from Allrecipies.  It was GREAT.  Or totally WOULD HAVE BEEN if, when squeezing the LAST lemon, my hand didn't slip, sending carefully measured lemon juice flying across my kitchen and all over the cabinets.  

Haaaaaaaaate!  Cuuuuuurse!  Stooooomp!  Scruuuuuub!  Haaaaaaaaate!

To say I didn't want to squeeze another lemon would be ... well a nicer way of saying, DIE mother F-ING lemons DIE!  

It was precisely this anger that lead me to try a Real Simple recipe (and why yes indeed, it WAS simple, thank you RS!).  Not only did it register a ZERO on the scale for potential cabinet drenching, it didn't even require any lemon peeling or waiting for a simple syrup to cool.   It basically said "put that shit in a blender and go fix yourself a cocktail."  (I may be paraphrasing.)

When I poured myself an ... ahem ... large glass of lemonade (and then another), I realized what had been lacking in my lemonade prior to this recipe and what made me like lemon drops so much.  Well, first of all, the vodka.  Duh.  But when bartenders make lemon drops, they muddle the whole lemon with ice and sugar.  You're not only tasting the juice, but the zest as well.  And if the Food Network has taught us NOTHING, it has taught us that the ZEST is where the party's at.  

If that pitcher up there is any indication?  Hi, my name is SSG and I'm ... a lemon-ADE-aholic.  

"Hi SSG!"

(SSG falls into a diabetic coma.)


Real Simple's Old-Fashioned Lemonade

In a blender (I used my food processor) combine 3 large lemons (washed, unpeeled and cut into eighths), 1 & 1/2 cups of sugar, and one cup of water.  Process until coarsely chopped.  Strain through a fine sieve into a pitcher or other large container.  Add 6 to 7 cups of water to taste, stir and serve in glasses over ice cubes. 

Sip.  
Swoon.  
Savor summer.

7 comments:

Lys said...

Oh now that's a recipe I must try.

You just can't get the zest in a can - definitely homemade is better

Big Hair Envy said...

That would probably be a nice, refreshing addition to the pool party tomorrow :) Could you come over and squeeze some lemons for me? heehee!

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl said...

Oooh ladies! Let me know if you like it. (And BHE, do your cabinets need a lemon bath?)

HalfAsstic.com said...

Oh MY. I was on pins and needles worrying that you weren't going to be able to find a lemonade recipe you liked! Did that sound snarky? It shouldn't cause I totally meant it.
Life will seem so much more fulfilling now with my new fabulous lemonade treat in my hand and the sure knowledge that you have overcome your problems with liquefying lemons.

Big Hair Envy said...

Tomorrow, I will send you a new lemonade recipe. It is called a "Pink Panty Pull-Down" (no joke!). It's made with frozen pink lemonade. One of my girlfriends who is coming over tomorrow made this when we were at the beach last summer. I will get her recipe and send it to you. I just know you will love it. Even if it's from the east coast :) Shoot. I just googled it, and here it is. Why wait until tomorrow? http://www.drinknation.com/drink/Pink-Panty-Pulldown

Let me know what you think. Just promise me that you will not go to your gay BFF's boss' pool after you drink a pitcher of these. You know, don't you, that any good southern drink is best served from a ginormous pitcher...

Anonymous said...

SSG, you are the Goddess of all you survey!!!! In the future, I shall produce your new concoction with our most fabulous vodka before every massage. As you wish it shall be done.

By the way, there was a cute man at the park today talking on the phone about be single and wanting to be a fireman. He had the physical ability, and a very nice ass. I clubbed him over the head, and have him in the garage if you would like to take a look. I must make sure he is worthing to worship at your alter before I release him.

BoggyWoggy said...

Like your post! Love the way you write! Thanks for the moment of fun!